Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Adrenaline, Caffeine and Blackberry Addiction

Having just passed through 3 countries in the last three days, I'm beginning to realize that the pace of my traveling is, uh, perhaps a little on the speedy side. I zipped through Brazil and am now, after day 1 in Cape Town, South Africa, am already beginning to plan for Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda and Uganda. Oh, and i just realized that i am also contemplating a quick stop in Cairo before Europe... In talking to fellow travelers, i'm gradually realizing that most people spend enough time in one place so that it is worthwhile to set their watches to local time and so that taxi fare expenses to and from the airports do not exceed all other spending combined (yes, this actually has happened to me).

That said, i wouldn't have it any other way, and continue to be amazed by people who make such comments such as "We're only staying for a short time in South Africa. 6 weeks just isn't enough to see this place!". Upon hearing this particular statement, I nodded solemnly, as if in agreement, when in actuality i was simply realizing that my six days in South Africa represent one of the longest stays in one country during my entire trip...

But my trip is confirming that it is possible to have amazing experiences and great times in these short and intense bursts, characterized by super-sized helpings of adrenaline and caffeine. For example, in the 18 hours i was in Brazil (which careful readers will note was less time than the hours that I ending up spending in Washington Dulles airport recently), i joined new Brazilian friends (Marcelo and Diogo) watch Brazil hammer Argentina to win the major soccer tournament, the Copa de America (which despite the temptation to confuse, is most definitely NOT "the America's Cup", the rather misleading and American-centric name for a major sailing event for which millions of patriotic, screaming Brazilian in bright yellow soccer jerseys basically don't give a s%&#.). My new friends introduced me to a great Brazilian beer and Brazilian food, and despite all US State Department warnings, gave me a chance to actually walk the downtown, nighttime streets of Sao Paulo (instead of the perhaps overly conservative State Department recommendations: "to avoid crime in Sao Paulo, consider barricading yourself in your hotel room (best to bring your own American made reinforced steel locks), limiting your diet to mini-bar offerings and praying for your safety and that of our American troops in harms way"). My Brazilian friends and i even had time to engage in intense political dialogue (although, obviously, the 18 hours were inadequate to fully cover the problems and hypocrisies surrounding our current president, Dick Cheney).

Finally, my time in Brazil was enough to further improve my understanding of Brazil's rich and varied culture, namely that their mobile phones operate on a GSM network and that my International Edition Blackberry works there just fine. Not one to turn down the opportunity to fully engage with a local culture, i spent several hours at a cafe curled around my blackberry. Ahhhhhh, how i missed you my sweet, sweet friend.

Arrival in South Africa has been a practical dream come true. Not only does my crackberry addiction continue to get well fed here, but my cravings for adrenaline and caffeine are well cared for. Today, full day of mountain biking around the Cape of Good Hope and close encounters with ostriches, baboons and penguins. Tomorrow diving with Great White sharks. And then next day probably going to go to the biggest bungee jump in the world (7 seconds of pure free fall...) Having taken overnight flights, checking out the hopping night scene here and getting up at the crack of dawn everyday, my sleep deficit continues to accumulate and is unaided by the potent adrenaline, caffeine and blackberry three-some. So, i'm doing well here in South Africa. The downside you ask? Alas, i miss my two Argentinian steaks a day...

2 comments:

David J said...

I hear you about that steak, man. Ever since I checked out your flickr page, all I can think about eating is a huge steak, bottle of red wine, glass of diet coke, and huge plate of fries. My lovely wife can confirm that my talk of food has consisted of nothing else.

Hope you are already designing the silkscreened "P Funk World Tour 2007" t-shirts.

Stay well out there!

{duet} said...

Great white and bungee?!
Lucky! (Napolean Dynamite voice..)
Can't wait to hear more. :)